Non-laser vision correction or implantation of the EVO intraocular collamer lens (ICL)
Today's hectic and tense pace of life when for active people every moment is important to make it efficient, there is a growing interest in improving the quality of life. If the day-to-day quality of life is greatly restricted or affected by an incomplete quality of vision, an issue arises - how to get it changed by a permanent vision correction to be able to opt out of the daily care of the lenses and spectacles and enjoy the freedom of vision.
The EVO Visian ICL implantation is one of the ways of vision correction, in addition, the procedure is to be carried out without the aid of a laser.
What is the EVO Visian intraocular collamer lens (ICL) and how does it work?
The EVO Visian ICL is an eye-implantable lens that provides clear vision. Unlike the contact lens, that is placed on the front surface of the eye, the EVO Visian ICL is positioned inside the eye between the iris (the colored part of the eye) and the natural lens of the eye, where it stays indefinitely. The Evo Visian ICL is made from collamer, which because of the constituent collagen is biocompatible with the eye (not seen as a foreign body in the eye) material and provides excellent quality of vision.
Anatomy of the eye with an implanted ICL
In Europe, the Visian ICL has been CE certified and it is in use since 1997. The clinical study results show a 99% patient satisfaction rate with the postoperative results.
Vision correction with the EVO Visian ICL is approved for:
• Patients between 21 and 45 years of age;
• Patients with myopia or near vision refraction ranging from 0.50 D to 18.00 D with or without astigmatism (up to 6.00 D);
• Patients with hyperopia or distant vision refraction ranging from +0.50 D to +10.00 + D with or without astigmatism (up to 6.00 D).
If the patient is considering vision correction with implantation of the Evo Visian intraocular collamer lens, the clinic offers the opportunity to come to a visit for free, during which the optometrist takes all the necessary measurements to determine the suitability of the eye for the procedure. During the visit, the course of the surgery is explained and the answers to questions of interest to patients are given. After taking the measurements, the patient is consulted by an eye surgeon, explaining the results obtained and their compliance with the non-laser vision correction method.
The EVO Visian ICL benefits:
• A reversible procedure - one of the biggest concerns of the laser vision correction for people is the irreversible changes in the shape of the eye caused by it after the removal of corneal tissue. The EVO Visian ICL benefit is long-term vision correction without removing the natural eye tissue. If, however, due to unforeseen circumstances, the EVO Visian ICL needs to be removed or replaced by another one, it can be done;
• A gentle method of vision correction;
• A visual acuity and clear vision nearly immediately after the procedure;
• Doesn’t cause “dry eye syndrome”;
• Suitable for patients with thin cornea;
• The EVO Visian ICL has biocompatible lenses with UV protection built in;
• Implantation of the lens procedure lasts 20-30 minutes. After the procedure, the patient can leave the clinic and in just a few short days is able to resume daily activities;
• Treats moderate to high nearsightedness, farsightedness, and astigmatism;
• The EVO Visian ICL doesn’t interfere and doesn’t limit women's pregnancy and the childbirth. Only the vision correction surgery shouldn’t be performed during pregnancy and breastfeeding.
How does implantation of the EVO Visian intraocular collamer lens (ICL) take place?
On the day of the procedure:
EVO Visian ICL implantation takes place in a sterile environment in outpatient settings and lasts for about 20-30 minutes. Before this manipulation, the eye is anesthetized using an anesthetic drug dripped on the cornea. If necessary, your doctor may recommend you to take a tranquillizer. There is no need for general anesthesia to perform vision correction surgery. At the periphery of the cornea, in the place where the white of the eye adjoins the colorful part of the eye, a small 3 mm opening is incised through which a jelly-like substance is injected into the eye and the lens is inserted. After the injection, the lens gently unfolds in the eye and takes its original shape. At the end of the procedure, the jelly-like substance is washed out of the eye. That’s it. Sutures are not needed for wound closure - the opening will close itself in a short period of time.
In about 2-3 hours after the manipulation, the intraocular pressure is checked, the lens position is assessed using a biomicroscope and the patient can leave the clinic. Vision usually improves straight after the surgery, however, it definitely stabilizes within 1 week. It is important that you do not plan to drive on the first day after the procedure, since your vision may still be unclear.
Implantation of the EVO Visian intraocular collamer lens
After the vision correction surgery
The first two weeks after the surgery:
• The operated eye shouldn’t be rubbed hard, accidentally injured;
• Avoid heavy physical load, prolonged situations with a bowed head;
• Don’t go to the sauna and swim with open eyes under water;
• To protect your eyes from the wind and dust, it is recommended to wear safety glasses or sunglasses;
• Be careful in contact with small children and animals as their movements can be unpredictable and can traumatize your eye;
• Use eye drops as prescribed by your doctor.
From the second day of the surgery, it is allowed to drive a car, do exercises, watch and read on a computer with a limited load, which increases depending on how you feel.
If the post-operative treatment is respected and during the visit, the doctor has not found discrepancies or deviations, the patient can return to normal, active life practically without restrictions. It is allowed to fly, climb mountains, and dive under the water. The only recommendation for further daily routines is to follow the regular preventive eye examinations recommended by the doctor.
After implantation, the patient of the EVO Visian intraocular collamer lenses doesn’t feel them and they aren’t externally visible.
The patient's eye after implantation of the EVO Visian intraocular collamer lens.
The flexibility of the method of the vision correction in the future
Through the years the human body is aging and vision changes. Almost every person reaching a certain age faces signs of cataract formation. As the previously performed vision correction procedure is reversible and the EVO Visian intraocular collamer lens does not change the structure of the eye, the eye surgeon may remove the inserted lens from the eye, while replacing the natural lens affected by the cataract, as well as may perform another eye surgery the patient needs.